HRD Antwerp announced the 17th edition of the HRD Awards, the world’s leading design contest in creative and innovative diamond and gemstone jewellery on May 11th 2020 with the results being declared on 21st June 2020 on HRD Antwerp’s social media pages. The theme of the 2020 awards was HAPPINESS – A New Beginning, which would be an inspiration for others in the current global crisis. Ms Ellen Joncheere – CEO, HRD Antwerp states “At HRD Antwerp, we believe that talent can never be stopped even in a global crisis. The enormous response we received from across the globe brings across one strong message – we are together no matter from where we are or who we are, we are united as designers, manufacturers, retailers, students and members of the gem and jewellery industry who only want one thing moving forward – HAPPINESS – as a new beginning.” The Grand Jury for the awards consisted of eminent experts from the gem and jewellery industry from across the globe.
The 21 Grand Jury members were (in alphabetical order)
- Mr Abdul Karim Mahallati – CEO – Mahallati Jewellers, Dubai
- Mr Benjamin Zucker – President – Precious Stones Company, USA
- Mr Daniel K. Y. Chan – Department Head – Architecture, Interior and Product Design Hong Kong Design Institute, Hong Kong
- Ms Debora Huisman-Leeser – CCO – GASSAN Diamonds B.V., Amsterdam
- Ms Eva Olde Monnikhof – Director – DIVA – The Museum for Diamonds, Jewellery and Silver, Antwerp
- Mr Fenghua Wu – Founder & Art Director – TTF Haute Joaillerie, China & Paris
- Ms Katerina Perez – Founder & Editor-in-Chief – Katerina Perez, London
- Mr Ken Lo – Chairman – Hong Kong Jewellery & Jade Manufacturers Association; Director – Foo Hang Jewellery Limited, Hong Kong
- Ms Lulwa Al Wazzan – Founder & Creative Director – Lulwa Fine Jewelry, Kuwait
- Ms Maha Al Sibai – Owner – Maha Al Sibai Fine Jewelry, Dubai
- Mr Mahesh Devji – Managing Director – Devji Aurum, Bahrain and Dubai
- Mr Ningxin Zou – Professor & Ex-Director – Art & Design Department – Beijing Institute
of Fashion Technology, China
- Mr Pedro Pérez Fernández – General Manager – CONTRASTE, Spain
- Ms Reena Ahluwalia – Owner & Designer – Reena Ahluwalia Design, Canada
- Mr Roc Majoral – General Manager – Majoral, Spain
- Mr Samuel Kung – Founder – Shanghai Museum of Contemporary Art, Hong Kong
- Ms Shrusshti Sharma – Founder – Designer’s of India (DOI), India
- Ms Soma Bhatta – Editor – The Retail Jeweller, India
- Ms Sophia Chong – Assistant Executive Director – Hong Kong Trade Development
Council (HKTDC), Hong Kong
- Mr Tarun Jain – Jewellery Design Educator & Honorary Director UAE – BRICS Chamber
of Commerce & Industries, Dubai
- Ms Veerle Van Wilder – Independent Jewelry Designer & Goldsmith, Belgium
Participating designers from across the globe delved into their thoughts of happiness, to produce brilliant diamond and gemstone jewellery designs.
After a tough competition amongst the designs submitted, an array of eleven awards was announced including the Best Designer 2020, 1st Runner Up, 2nd Runner Up and winners and runner ups for the 8 sub-categories of Diamond Bracelet, Diamond Earrings, Diamond Necklace and Pendant, Diamond Rings, Gemstone Bracelet, Gemstone Earrings, Gemstone Necklace and Pendant and Gemstone Ring.
The winners and runner ups will be entitled to scholarships for HRD Antwerp’s extensive on campus as well as online educational courses.